Saturday 1 March 2014

Mew and Mewtwo from "Pokémon"

I love these guys. Seriously, you guys. These guys.

I remember the first Pokémon I was drawn towards to be Charizard, since I liked dragons. Didn't like Dragonite, though, he looked queer to me. And oddly enough more like an evolution of Charmander than Charizard does.
Anyway, I'm not sure at what point of my life this was, as I've never actually seen the show when I was a child or played the games. Yet I knew about the characters, had the first movie, a few Pokémon plushies, and a poster portraying the first generation, which was the only generation back then.

Still, I couldn't call myself a fan, since I only really cared about a few aspects of the series.
Mew and Mewtwo are by far the most awesome things the series shat out, and even though I can't bare what they've done with these two after the first movie, my nostalgic love for them stays.

Mew is the cutest motherfucker you'll ever see and hear on a television screen, and I'm almost certain Mewtwo is the first Shadow the Hedgehog to exist.
While I'm still wondering why Mewtwo is the only Pokémon in existence who minds being a Pokémon; as he doesn't want to battle for humans, which is basically the purpose of these little monsters, I guess it proves he has a very high level of intelligence.

At the same time, Pokémon are able to fully understand the human language and show human emotions, so where does their intelligence stop?

People have criticized the first movie for its story, but I have to say I'm happy they didn't fully translate it from the Japanese dub.
It doesn't make sense that Mewtwo would scold the human race for enslaving Pokémon, and he in response plans to kill everyone on the planet and keep his cloned Pokémon to be his own slaves, but to say he's angry for not being "created by God", and on top of that, having Mew call him a fake who will never win against the real Pokémon is not really something we should teach children. Or adults. E
ven if the conclusion of the movie had a peaceful solution.

I'm not sure what the Japanese were thinking, but I was never charmed by this dark plot.

I'm also happy that the deleted scene where Mewtwo befriends his maker's dead daughter stayed deleted.
As touching people found this scene to be, it had no place in the movie. We shouldn't have to "feel sorry" for the scientist or Mewtwo; he's an enraged creation of science, only brought to life to fight for the villain of the series. Either you think he's justified for being angry, or you don't. No need to insert a sob story that probably won't return anywhere else in the movie.

And for Pete's sake, the girl had green hair. What's up with that. Stop giving characters impossible hair colours, animes, I can't take a girl with pink hair seriously.


You may say the movie had its little flaws, but I would disagree with you. It was the best portrayal of Mew and Mewtwo in the entire series. I love the movie.
I was sceptical about the introduced "mega evolutions" of Mewtwo; where he'd transform in a completely different Pokémon for no reason, and becomes even more overpowered, but I'm okey with it now. I own the game Pokémon X where you see him transform in one of his two forms, and it's kind of cool.
I'm still confused how this kind of information is in his DNA, as Mew doesn't have this ability, but I don't have the motivation to care anymore.


I'm playing my Pokémon X, and have a Mew and 4 Mewtwos. And I'm feeding them cupcakes. Really, my life is complete.
I'm happy the creators allowed Mewtwo to return in his end-game cave, and still hasn't been forgotten after all these new Pokémon hit the scene. And Mew is still unobtainable by any normal means, like tradition goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment