Friday 5 February 2016

Undertale

I have a short and shameful past with this game.

I follow alot of gaming channels at Youtube and have seen the Undertale video thumbails pop up quite early this same year, but the customized thumbnail icons that greeted me looked unappealing (it was mostly just Papyrus' face, I'm sorry, lord Papyrus), so I never bothered to click them and check out this masterpiece of a game until months later. To think I kept myself busy with watching the gameplays of games I already knew fills me with anti-determination.

But when my homeboys Video Games AWESOME, who stopped customizing their thumbnails years ago, started playing this game, I was introduced to a regular screenshot instead of just a giant simple face of one of the characters. My first impression was "Earthbound", in the positive sense, so of course I finally clicked that shit and checked out this title I've seen pop up everywhere for months.

It was good shit.

It was more than good, because this seemingy simple game managed to drag my hipster-ass into the fanwagon, and like I announced at my first Undertale submission at Deviantart; this is the first time I've joined the majority on anything.

Of course, I was a devoted Lion King fan, of course I was a devoted Inuyasha fan, of course I was a devoted Kingdom Hearts fan, of course I was a devoted Ed, Edd n Eddy fan, but none of this was at a time the fandom was at its peak. I am always late joining any group, or I simply don't like something enough to make tons of fanart for it, but I made an Undertale-Justin Bieber parody just a few weeks ago, for Pete's sake. I am far gone and it did not take long.
I'm wearing a shirt with a giant grinning Sans face and the words "You're going to have a bad time" written under it and have 3 more Undertale shirts. And I paid crazy money for these, while they're not even official. I gave money to people who basically stole the in-game icons and slapped them on a shirt. That's how badly I need the merchandise.

The humor, the music, the rich characters, the story, the fighting mechanic, there's not much to complain about in this game, I like all of it equally. Undertale is a combination of the best that gaming and the internet has to offer. Which is hard, as it's the internet.
Beware of the abomination that is FriskxSans fanart.


No comments:

Post a Comment